Are you passionate about sustainability? Do you see opportunities to make Leiden University more sustainable? Are you able to inspire, engage and empower students and staff to cooperate? This is your chance to contribute!
The Leiden University Green Office and Green Keys are the platform within the university where students and employees shape and execute innovative sustainable ideas. LUGO tries to make Leiden University more sustainable by contributing to the reduction of its ecological footprint. Furthermore they create awareness about sustainability amongst students and staff. Green Keys is a group of students who work to engage other students in sustainable projects and initiatives in and around Leiden and Leiden University. The goal of Green Keys is to educate fellow students on sustainable topics in the form of activities such as the Leiden University Sustainability week.
Starting this Summer the Leiden University Green Office and Green Keys will merge and become one platform to stimulate and facilitate sustainable behavior at Leiden University. Together we aim to make the university’s vision on sustainability a reality by actively involving students and staff members. This team is co-creative, self-managing and it supports Leiden University in realizing sustainability policies and creating awareness.
1 LUGO Manager (18 hours weekly – paid function)
3 LUGO Coordinators (12 hours weekly – paid function)
3 Green Keys Board Members ( 6 hours weekly-voluntary- Dutch)
We are looking for one LUGO Manager and three LUGO Coordinators that will work together in our team on several topics:
The LUGO manager is responsible for the overall coordination and support of the team and its activities. Furthermore the manager maintains relationships with external contacts, pursues the vision, strategy and goals of LUGO and is the face of the organisation. Also the manager supports the other coordinators with their tasks. This position requires that you are fluent in Dutch and English.
The Communications Coordinator promotes the team among students and staff to ensure that we can really become the sustainability platform within the university. This coordinator is in charge of external emails, social media, the website, visibility in the faculties and managing of the media team. You will also create posters, flyers etc. to display within the university or at our events. This function requires Dutch.
The Student Community coordinator aims to encourage the involvement of students in sustainability at the university by organizing various events. As the coordinator you will work actively with members (volunteers) to organize this. In addition, you will collaborate with organisations that are relevant for the events and to our goals. Examples of past events are a clothing swap, documentary nights and a vegan lunch. You will be responsible for our activities during the introduction weeks: EL CID, HOP and OWL.
The Engagement Coordinator is a dual function. Next to a Leiden University Green Office Coordinator you will also be the Green Keys head- representative in the Green Keys board. Within this function you will focus on the social/political side of the university by for example being involved with the university’s political parties. You will also have close relations with different external parties that are active in the sustainable scene of Leiden. Furthermore this coordinator will work with study associations and faculty boards to make different faculties more sustainable. You can do this by keeping informed on the topics discussed by the Faculty Council (Faculteitsraad) and lobby for topics of our interest to be put on the agenda. This function requires Dutch.
3 Green Keys Board members (6 hours weekly – voluntary – Dutch)
We are also looking for 3 Green Keys Board Members who will work together in our team on several topics, like organising the Leiden University Sustainability Week:
De Project Manager is verantwoordelijk voor het coördineren van alle projecten die georganiseerd worden. Hierbij is belangrijk dat jij het overzicht houdt en zo zorgt dat alle projecten van Green Keys een succes worden! Ook ben je het creatieve brein achter het bedenken van leuke activiteiten, acties en symposia. Je bent actief in contact met de universiteit en houdt trending duurzame projecten in de gaten. Dus weet jij altijd wat er speelt en zit jij vol vernieuwende, duurzame ideeën? Dan is Project Manager de functie voor jou!
De Penningmeester-Secretaris is verantwoordelijk voor het financieel voortbestaan van Green Keys en tegelijkertijd ook structuur schept zodat de andere bestuursleden makkelijk en efficiënt kunnen werken. Contact onderhouden met de universiteit, fondsen aanspreken, verslagen schrijven of begrotingen opstellen: de functie van penningmeester-secretaris is erg divers. Je ontwikkelt boekhoudkundige EN menselijke vaardigheden! Kortom, ben je op zoek naar een leuke, veelzijdige functie waar je zelf ook invulling aan kan geven? Wordt onze nieuwe PS!
PR/Extern is verantwoordelijk voor de presentatie en externe communicatie van Green Keys. Als je goed kunt schrijven, het leuk vindt om te enthousiasmeren en te netwerken, creatief bent in het bedenken van promoties en samenwerkingen, gemotiveerd en gedisciplineerd bent om regelmatig te posten (in het bijzonder rondom en tijdens de Leiden University Sustainability Week), dan is dit dé functie voor jou!
- ● You are an enthusiastic, out-of-the-box thinker with a passion for sustainability. You love to take initiative and work in a small team with no nine-to-five mentality. Experience with extracurricular activities and/or wordpress is a plus;
- ● You have good social skills and are able to mobilize people and keep them involved while dealing with organizational sensitivity;
- ● You work well in a team;
- ● You enjoy initiating new projects and strategies, implementing these, and communicating aboutthem to students and staff. You are capable of building a network to empower staff and students to contribute to the sustainable development of Leiden University;
- ● You are a student or staff member at Leiden University;
- ● You are fluent in English.
What we offer:
- An opportunity to develop and show leadership and initiative;An opportunity to gain professional experience and personal development;
- Trainings offered by rootAbility (the founding organisation of Green Offices);
- A great network with all the Green Offices in Europe with the possibility of attending the European Green Office Summit once a year
- Professional support from staff members;
- A chance to get immersed in the matter of practical sustainability;
- A well-equipped office in the centre of Leiden;
- For the LUGO manager: A monthly reimbursement of approximately € 600,-. For the LUGO coordinators: A monthly reimbursement of approximately € 350,-. You will be hired for 6 months with possibility of extension for another 6 months (you will be hired as student-assistant).
- For Green Keys Board members: there is a compensation available at the end of the board-year.
Are you interested? Please send your CV and motivation letter to
Explicitly motivate your affinity with sustainability and clearly state your preferences for a specific coordinator or Green Keys board member role . Also state your availability for the interview (22, 23, 28 May). Please don’t exceed 2MBs in your email attachments. Make sure your CV does not exceed two pages and your letter of motivation does not exceed one page.
Closing date vacancy: 18th of May, 2018 (23.59)
Interviews: The interviews will be held on the 22nd, 23rd and 28th of May. Introduction time:
Communication Coordinator: first two weeks of July 2018 Engagement Coordinator: first two weeks of June 2018 Student Community Coordinator: first two weeks of July 2018 Manager: first two weeks of July 2018
Communication Coordinator: 15th July 2018 Engagement Coordinator: 15 Juni 2018
Student Community Coordinator: 15th July 2018 Manager: 15 July 2018
We hope to see you soon!
Please check out our Facebook:
Leiden University Environmental Policy: